Thursday, September 25, 2008

all dogs go to heaven


my boss gave me a labchow some months ago and some months ago, he died. i think he ate something that poisoned him. i don't want to put blame on anyone but that time my dad was his pissy self. he was always drunk and my mom was visiting us here.

the first time i met zorro i fell in love with him. he was black all over and had big feet. he was the first puppy that my boss brought to the office... for me. everyone hugged him. everyone here at the office held him and that day i was so happy. my friend told me not to name him zorro because even though it's the name of the masked hero, it sounded like sorrow. and that was what his death brought us - sorrow.

the first time zoie saw zorro, she treated him like a brother. but my mom had to take him home to the province because our unit was too small for such a big dog. in the province, he should have led a better life.

my mom took him home to the province in a picnic basket. they rode a provincial bus together with the aircon blowing straight at him. he was asleep most of the time. a lot of people tried to get him from us but no way was i going to give him away.

every week, i'd get an MMS of how he's growing and got to talk to him on the phone. but after he's left manila, i never saw him again.

my mom and dad fought for a week and i got extremely depressed. my friend sensed it but i wasn't talking. it took me months to tell my boss and weeks to tell a friend. still, everyone was shocked. zorro had a vet and even a card that ensures him all necessary shots. he had complete vitamins and like a child, my dad bought him toys.

all those feelings of despair came crashing to me this morning when i heard a puppy whimper downstairs. jesse, zorro's mother, had puppies again and two of them were for my officemates. i didn't dare ask for another puppy.

before zorro, i had bumper. i was single and he lived in my apartment. but i'd rather not talk about bumper because after all these years i still cry whenever i remember how much i've loved him and that he died because a would-be robber bashed his head with a stick. he was a hero.

after bumper and zorro, i don't think i'd want another dog.

No comments: