Monday, December 29, 2008

Mayon Resthouse or Mayon Skyline

The sun came out today… but only sparingly. It was after lunch when I finally was able to convince hubby to get up the bed and do some driving. We went to Mayon Resthouse. We took the route from Tabaco City and then making a right to Sabluyon Road. This is the road that connects Tabaco to Ligao. It’s like climbing half of the Mayon Volcano. Our hearts sank when there were rains on the way to the place. We thought, it if was still raining we won’t push through. The winding road climb may be dangerous. But it stopped raining when we reached the road that led up to the volcano. There were a lot of kids waving on the road. I guess it wasn’t often that they see cars coming up. My mom said they were begging. We thought it was dangerous to stop and give them money what with us facing a climb. The road was a bit rough and there were a lot of vegetation. I guess it’ll be real scary if you find yourself there at night time. It was a surprise when we got there. There were already a lot of cars parked there. I guess the tourists had the same thought as we had – to grab the opportunity and take our chances. It was windy up there. I felt my ears up on the way up. The air was cold. My daughter caught a cold there. The view was fantastic. We saw Mt. Malinao, another active volcano in the area and saw the whole city of Tabaco. When we looked up we actually saw that we were so near the top of the volcano. At long last I saw it free of clouds. The tip was black as if burned by the many times it erupted. There was a planetarium and a café there but they were all closed. Next time we go there I do hope they’re open. The first time we went there was when hubby took his family here for the pamanhikan. We went there but there was a storm. We couldn’t see a thing. The building was really dilapidated but today, 4 years later and with a toddler in tow, there is a planetarium there already. We took photos which I will post soon. I found myself staring at the tip of Mt. Mayon and thought about the lives it has taken because of its numerous eruptions but I still can’t help but wonder how it can stay so serene… so peaceful. After an hour, we went down the slope. My companions were getting cold. I was so glad we took the chance and went there even if it was raining when we left.

Oh by the way, there were kids selling camote there and also bonsai plants. My mom didn't want to buy what they were selling and I made a comment that this was a way to help the kids. We ended up giving each of them peso coins. Apparently, word gets around past. Before we knew it there were a lot of kids lining up for their 5 peso coins.

No comments: